WHY CHOOSE AMMONIA?
Ammonia as a marine fuel offers a range of benefits, ensuring your ship is environmentally friendly:
- Ammonia (NH3) does not contain carbon and therefore burning it in the engine or using it in a fuel cell will not produce any CO2.
- Choosing a zero carbon fuel will ensure your ship is EEDI compliant.
An ammonia fuel system is a cost-effective solution for both shipyards and shipping companies, optimizing your CAPEX and OPEX.
- Ammonia is already available in 200 ports worldwide today.
- Ammonia can be stored in its liquid form at atmospheric pressure and a temperature of -33°C or at around 8.5 bar at room temperature.
- The volumetric energy density of ammonia is around 12000 MJ/m³ which is larger than hydrogen.
Disadvantages of using ammonia:
- Ammonia is toxic and corrosive which requires expert knowledge on health and safety issues and implementation of the right choice of materials.
- Incomplete combustion of ammonia can release nitrous oxide (N2O).
1 Ammonia fuel system for two or four-stroke engines
Ammonia can be used in a dual fuel engine, Wartsila, MAN and WIN-GD currently have engines certified for marine use that can run on ammonia. The Marine Service Noord fuel system can be designed for high pressure ammonia supply at around 80 barg for two stroke engines or for low pressure fuel supply at around 10 barg for four-stroke engines.
2 Ammonia to hydrogen system
Ammonia can be converted into hydrogen using an ammonia cracker. This system allows you to have a hydrogen fuel train with the benefit of the higher volumetric energy density of ammonia giving a smaller fuel tank and longer endurance of your ship.
OUR EXPERTISE IN MECHANICAL WORK
We are a seasoned systems integrator with extensive experience in designing and integrating alternative fuel systems for ships. Our skilled team ensures seamless implementation, on-time delivery, and top-notch quality. As a company committed to maritime sustainability, we offer you the expertise you need to embrace the future of sustainable marine transportation.
We follow methodological design principles in which your design requirements and specific wishes are used as input. Additionally we follow the risk based design process when designing systems for low flashpoint fuels. This ensures your system will be fully class approved. We do extensive risk assessment studies and apply our design philosophy of safe systems on board ships, in which we ensure that a single point of failure will never lead to a dangerous situation.
OUR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES
Our company brings a rich history of successful projects, including ammonia fuel system installations, to the table. We are known for our commitment to excellence and our dedication to helping clients with making design choices, prioritize safety, and manage the costs associated with adopting ammonia as a marine fuel. We can offer the following products and services:
Ammonia fuel system design following the risk based design process
- Bunkering station skids
- Ammonia tanks
- Pressure Build-up Units (PBU's)
- Ammonia fuel conditioning skids
- Heat recovery skids
- Ammonia Release and Mitigation System (ARMS)
- Prefabrication and installation of double walled piping
CONTACT US TODAY
If you're ready to explore the potential of ammonia as a marine fuel with a trusted partner, reach out to us for more information or to request a brochure about our services. We're here to help you navigate the complexities of the transition to ammonia-based fuel systems.